|Bad: yvettesbridalformal.com (Fig. 1)||Good: xinmsn.com (Fig. 4)|
|Visibility||- No distinct functions can be identified.
- Links are not properly organized.
- Links are cluttered and fighting to attract attention.
|- Functions can be easily identified.
- Search box is prominent (since it is a search engine).
- Sections are well categorized and organized (Fig. 5).
- Tabs bar helps in organizing links.
|Consistency||- Fonts are differently sized.
- Inconsistent colour scheme.
|- Headings and contents appropriately sized (headings larger than contents or details).
- Font sizes are consistent.
- Sections are well-aligned.
- Tabs bar stays at the top of every page.
|Familiarity||- No proper metaphor for the page, links are just placed haphazardly.
- Users have trouble finding what to look for and where to start.
|- Intuitive buttons.|
|Affordance||- Unconventional design that confuses users.||- Conventional designs that make it easy for the user to navigate.
- Layouts for different sections are consistent, so users can get used to it quickly.
|Navigation||- Easy to understand where some links lead to but usually not well executed (telling users where links lead to in long cumbersome sentences).
- Destination of other links are ambiguous.
- Website has no focus.
|- Search bars can be found at the top and the bottom of the page, so users who read to the bottom of a page will not have to scroll all the way back to the top to use it.
- Tabs are highlighted for the sections being visited, so users know which page they are at and can navigate accordingly.
|Flexibility||- Gives user a choice of an “easier” navigation alternative, but it is not a huge improvement over the classic view.
- No scrollbar in the alternate interface.
|- Users can select the home page for the country they reside in (Fig. 6).|
|Style||- No central theme.
- Supposed to be a bridal website but has many unrelated contents.
- e.g. There is a link to an Apple Pie recipe on the homepage (Fig. 2).
- e.g. More unrelated pictures of fishes further down the homepage (Fig. 3).
|- Color scheme is appealing.
- Minimal variations of colour which makes outlook of the page easy on the eye.
- Simple yet elegant design.
|Recovery||- No. Just no.
- Horrible website.
|- Logo of the homepage appears in every section of the site, allowing user to return to the homepage from any location in the site.|
WARNING: The bad design may give you a shock or a heart attack... ~+**V8**+~
|Fig. 1. Home page of Yvette's Bridal Formal|
|Fig. 2. Random Apple Pie recipe|
|Fig.3. Aww cute fishes... NOT|
|Fig. 4. Homepage of xinmsn|
|Fig. 5. Entertainment section of xinmsn|
|Fig. 6. msn Worldwide for users to select their countries|