Wednesday 7 March 2012

Huh? What is this?!

This was my first encounter when I first created a NUS blog for one of my modules this semster...




What were those 2 options in the create page? Firstly, the options do not give neither sensible nor logical meanings. And secondly, due to the first point, most users would be confused. In fact, I was suppose to create a blog during a class, and all of my classmates were making a fuss as to which option to choose.

Anyway, I went ahead choosing the second option: "Just a username.". (thinking that the URL would be created by appending with my matric no.) and was directed to a dashboard. It was thought that my blog was created. But when I proceed to click on "visit site" that appeared on the top left corner of the page, I was directed to the NUS Blog homepage instead of my blog. Furthermore, there was nowhere to create a first post. When I looked around, my friends could carry on writing their first post.

After asking around, I have found out they have chosen the first option: "Gimme a site!". Then I realized that the first option is the correct option to create a blog while the second was just an empty account...

Seriously, those options are totally redundant. Why would any user who wishes to create a blog create an empty account?!

In the end, I have to go back to the homepage and clicked on the create blog link again. But since now I am already logged in, I was directed to the "expected" page when the user first chose the first option. I could finally proceed from there... I wasted around 30 minutes just to figure that out... I could even feel that the website was giving a TROLL FACE!

1 comment:

  1. That is a pretty bad and non intuitive way of labeling from a user's perspective! How do you think you will go about redesigning it?

    ReplyDelete